You are not logged in.

#1 20 Jun 2008 4:12 am

Butcher

Website hosts

Well, I've now been with Bluehost for a few years, and they've recieved numerous awards for this and that, and are voted top dog of this and that. Still, every bloody week they manage to wreck either the hard drive, the MySQL database or simple smash the entire server alltogether. What host are you guys using, and how reliable are they?

All I really need from a webhost is stability (database, DNS, file and connectivity always working), reliability (more or less instant answers to what is wrong, if something does go wrong), decent prices (I ain't the sucker to pay 10 bucks a month for having a website hosted, when I know hundreds of sites doing it for half the price) and quality (massive hosting space, bandwith, ability to have multiple domains attached, usable control panel, updated systems, scripting variety ranging from PHP to Ruby on Rails should I want it).

http://bamboocommandos.com/butcher_img/butchersig7.jpg

#2 20 Jun 2008 5:02 am

bigbacon

Re: Website hosts

Not sure if it helps, I only know what they support on the windows side but I use Godaddy for hosting and I've never had issues. I've never even seen my sites go down. They allow multiple domains, they seem to update their stuff a lot. I think for 10 dollars a month you get 150gb of space and some HUGE amount of bandwidth. I know the linux side has mysql and php but I dont know about RoR.

I've had them for 2 years now and I have never had to call them for any reason. I've never lost data, my databases have never just gone on vacation. If you look at them, you need to look at the Deluxe hosting not the basic.

#3 20 Jun 2008 3:27 pm

MadHatter
Administrator
Website

I've been w/ 1and1 for about 8 years now.  they've never ever been down, and never had any down time even during complete overhauls of the servers.  they're a few more bucks than bluehost, but well worth it IMO.  http://1and1.com  I have the linux business hosting.

#4 20 Jun 2008 5:46 pm

Butcher

By experience, I have low beliefs in GoDaddy, they seem to be too occupied by quantity rather than quality (if something by accident goes to hell, I want a team of experts fixing it, not a group of lawyers and accountants trying to pry open the server with a crowbar). Reading around the past months have told me that GoDaddy more or less is a gigantic business core with their hands in too many projects, too many ways to get sued if you ask me.

1&1 on the other hand, seems to be good (especially since I can get 6 months right now for just 15 bucks, on linux home hosting). And if a website has not been down for extended periods of time for as much as 8 years, it does say a lot. As Bluehost manages to fuck my site up weekly without ever managing to locate or repair the problem (not even a complete reinstall occured to them as an idea before they torched the hard drives today).

So I'll be looking into 1&1, as soon as I manage to do a successful backup from Bluehost, and give Bluehost a very hostile call.

http://bamboocommandos.com/butcher_img/butchersig7.jpg

© 2003 - 2024 NullFX
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License